Alan Kaufman Partner: Head of Family
Follow me on:
Alan is a partner in the family team. He specialises in heavy weight family law disputes and has had many years experience acting in multi-million pound matrimonial settlements. Alan acts for wealthy business people, particularly in the property industry and high profile media, entertainment and sports personalities, or their spouses.
Alan is a trained mediator having been taught his mediation skills by the New York Mediation Group and is also a trained Collaborative Lawyer. He is also a strong believer in round table settlement meetings at which he excels.
In a past life, Alan has had extensive commercial litigation experience (including shareholders and partnership disputes, copyright and property related litigation) and hence is able to bring his commercial acumen to matrimonial financial settlement negotiations.
In 2005, Alan was elected a Fellow of the prestigious International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and in 2008 was admitted as a member of the high profile group of collaborative lawyers known as the Central London Collaborative Forum, which is comprised of London's leading divorce lawyers.
Recent work advising
- a financial settlement and children dispute in a high profile media celebrity case which involved the Irish Courts and Irish advisers as well as the English Court
- on a leading reported case involving the legal and enforcement systems of various countries across the world including England, Pakistan, USA and Hong Kong
- on a Separation Agreement for one of the World Cup’s football coaches.
- on numerous Pre Nuptial and Post Nuptial Agreements including an agreement between a Texan resident and an English resident which was required as the parties would be living in England and the parents of the client’s husband wanted to protect his existing and future substantial inheritances/family gifts. An agreement was drawn up with the assistance of Texas lawyers such that the agreement is subject to Texas law but is meant to be enforceable across the world including England
- on a Pre Nuptial Agreement involving a super wealthy husband fund manager and his lawyer wife. The agreement covered the jurisdictions of US, Hong Kong, Canada, Japan and England
Read Alan's blog
Gay = Straight
Outside of work, Alan's time is very much engaged with his family, being the father of five daughters and the grandfather of two grandsons and two granddaughters. He is an avid follower of Arsenal Football Club and otherwise loves spending time playing tennis at his small country pile in the Cotswolds.
Return to Profiles