Ian Ryan Partner: Head of Business Crime and Regulatory
Follow me on:
Ian is an experienced serious fraud and regulatory lawyer who specialises in financial crime advising corporate clients, individuals, and professional firms in cases of bribery and corruption, money laundering, alleged cartel activity, insider dealing and market abuse.
He has represented corporate clients and individuals in investigations by the Financial Services Authority, the Serious Fraud Office, the Office for Fair Trading, the Crown Prosecution Service, and the Serious and Organised Crime Agency.
Ian regularly advises clients in respect of restraint orders, confiscation proceedings, dawn raids, search and seizure, production orders and legal professional privilege. He also advises and conducts internal investigations for corporate clients and other organisations.
Ian is a Higher Court Advocate in the criminal and civil courts and appears as a trial advocate for the defence at the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal where he is regularly opposed by Queens Counsel. He also advises solicitors’ firms and individual solicitors under investigation by the SRA at all stages of the process; this experience and expertise means he is in a unique position to advise and represent solicitors facing criminal prosecution.
He also heads the team that represents members of the Chief Police Officer Staff Association in disciplinary and criminal investigations.
Ian is a member of the Financial Lawyers Association; the Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers; the Proceeds of Crime Lawyers Association; and the International Bar Association; and he was recently re-appointed as an independent member of the FA's Agents Panel by the Football Regulation Authority.
Emergency contact number: +44 (0) 7802 613477.
Bribery and Corruption
- represented a significant individual in the joint FCA/DOJ/CFTC investigation into the alleged manipulation of LIBOR.
- represented Alexis Stenfors in an investigation by the FCA into the alleged mis-marking of his book; ultimately, a 5 year Prohibition Order was negotiated with the FCA which crucially did not conclude that Mr Stenfors had acted dishonestly.
- represented a number of individuals in FCA criminal investigations.
- advised an insurance company as to whether it should self-report to the FCA following the arrest of its managing director.
- lead partner in an internal investigation conducted on behalf of a major multi-national company resulting in a self-report to the OFT and subsequent successful application for immunity on behalf of the corporate and all former employees.
- advised the CEO of a major multi-national company in an OFT investigation into alleged cartel activity. No charges were brought following interview.
- lead partner in an internal investigation into the alleged fraudulent obtaining of an EU grant of €3m by a research company.
- one of a team of three partners dealing with an internal investigation into a hedge fund following allegations of mismanagement of client funds.
- has represented a number of individuals interviewed by external and in-house Counsel during internal investigations.
Fraud and Money Laundering
- successfully represented the Managing Director of a Medical Reports Agency in an investigation into fraud in the insurance industry which resulted in the prosecution offering no evidence at the Crown Court.
- represented clients in the SFO investigations into BAE; Torex; the "generic drugs" investigation; and the investigation into the stockbrokers Wills & Co.
- represented the Managing Director of an airport parts company on several money laundering allegations arising from the sale of three aircraft to the front man for a Columbian drugs cartel.
- acted in Re:B  EWCA 1374, the first successful appeal to the Court of Appeal against a pre-charge restraint order, and referred to on the CPS website as the guideline case setting out the test for the risk of dissipation of assets. For more information click here.
- representing an individual in the forthcoming Rebekah Brooks alleged perverting the course of justice trial.
- advised and represented a prominent individual in relation to the Equatorial Guinea Coup.
- advised former Assistant Commissioner John Yates in respect of his evidence to the Leveson Enquiry.
- represented a company director on charges of breach of UN sanctions involving the former Yugoslavia.
- represented two senior members of the Labour Party in the cash for honours enquiry and related Abrahams investigation.
- representing a number of barristers in HMRC investigations.
Return to Profiles